Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Conclusion and Self Assessment

After looking back at my initial post regarding my strengths and weaknesses dealing with technology, I am pleasantly surprised and encouraged by how much I have learned over the semester about the various tools available for classroom and library use. Many of these tools I have been able to utilize in my personal life and in my other course this semester. Some of these include WikiSpaces, NetVibes, ZohoWriter, and so on. At the time, I had never heard of any of these Web 2.0 tools, and I am pleased that I have gained this knowledge and have been able to successfully apply it. This only encourages me to continue to seek out new technologies to use and, as a librarian, introduce to others.

The most effective way to discover new innovations in technology I have found is to simply search for new Web 2.0 tools online. It is interesting to seek out what other professionals are using in their libraries and to find discussion boards consisting of real conversations shared by real-world librarians to obtain insight on what is currently available and useful. Also, workshops are always a sure means to gain new knowledge about tools, technologies, their uses, and how they have been found successful in the library and classroom.

This semester I have found a new way of thinking about technology. It is probably fair to say that many times  in schools that cell phones, cameras, online games and applications, and so on, are easily viewed as distractions for students. However, after learning about the possibilities and opportunities offered by these different technologies, it is evident that they can easily be converted into tools used in the classroom to enhance the learning environment. I certainly want to continue to learn how to embrace these technologies and the opportunities they bring rather than fight them.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, there is far too much out there for any one person to keep up with it all. The only concern I ever have for implementing many of these ideas is the same that has been mentioned by others. In the district I worked in, many classrooms lacked computers. The first school I worked still used Imac's until 2005 and even to this day has issues with an inadequate networking infrastructure.

    We must always keep our love for the new balanced with how to use the new applications and ideas available and our ability to use them.

    ReplyDelete